Shoshana Bean taught a wonderful Master Class at The Cabaret on February 16th, 2013. This Broadway star made her New York City debut in the off-Broadway revival of Godspell and moved to Broadway in the original cast of the Tony Award-winning production of Hairspray. She then went on to replace Idina Menzel as Elphaba in Broadway’s Wicked. Here are her useful tips for aspiring singers:
1. Make sure to communicate as clearly as possible to your accompanist!
2. If you are going to riff make sure there is a purpose behind it.
3. Sing your lyrics how you would speak them.
4. On your long sustained notes don’t check out. Stay connected. Don’t forget your purpose.
5. Be specific about your intentions and connect them with situations comparable in your own life.
6. Whatever choices you make within your song, commit to them!
7. Don’t sing a song one way just because someone else sang it that way. Do your own research and make the song yours….
8. Create reactions and dialogue for the person you’re talking to in your song and then react to them!
9. Don’t look at rejection as rejection. Perspective is everything. Think of it as not the best opportunity for you….
10. When you walk into an audition, know that they want you to be “it” more than you want to be “it.”
11. Don’t try to be something you’re not.
"Awesome venue! I tell everyone I know about The Cabaret and encourage them to see a show."Cabaret Guest