Posted by admin on April 15, 2013
Acclaimed composer and performer Scott Alan held a master class at The Cabaret on Saturday, April 6th, 2013 and had many words of wisdom including the following tips which we felt were most memorable:
1. Emote within your work.
2. Find a way to tell your own story within the composer’s lyrics.
3. If you’re not singing from your gut and soul then you’re not singing.
3. You have to know and think that there is someone in the audience that needs to hear your song. If not, then why are you singing it?
4. Always be a new voice.
5. Use your insecurities to strengthen the honesty of the song. Not allowing your insecurities to shine through the lyrics will leave the song flat.
6. Exposing your insecurities can be emotional so sing the song 200 times hysterically so the 201st time you can sing it controlled.
7. Use your song to your strengths and tell YOUR story.
8. Find your connection to every lyric of the song you are singing.
"One of the best environments for serious music fans in town!"Cabaret Guest
Monday - Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
2:00pm-4:00pm, only on days with a performance
The Cabaret Administrative Offices
615 N Alabama Street, Suite 134
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Indiana Landmarks Center
1201 Central Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202