Posted by admin on May 25, 2013
Versatile and talented performer Leslie Odom, Jr. gave a Master Class at The Cabaret on February 23rd, 2013. Leslie has been popping up everywhere this year, lending his talents to TV shows like NBC’s Smash, The CW’s Supernatural, and Showtime’s House of Lies. He also starred in the Broadway musical Leap of Faith in 2012. Below are some of the helpful tips that he gave to aspiring performers:
1. Don’t wear what you would wear to a Les Mis audition to a Newsies audition.
2. Don’t “play the 3rd act.” If you let them know what is to come there is nowhere to go in the song.
3. Singing to yourself may be the wrong choice. Pick a person and sing to them. It will heighten the stakes.
4. When a word repeats over and over in a song give it an intention every time. It needs to go on a journey.
5. You are enough. Don’t “perform.” Just be honest. What comes from the heart reaches the heart.
6. KNOW what you’re singing about and CONNECT!
7. When auditioning know who you are and know what you have to offer.
8. When trying to make it in the business have something to say and don’t let anyone stop you from saying it.
"One of Indianapolis' most fashionable downtown nightspots..."Tom Alvarez, Examiner.com
Monday - Friday: 10:00a - 5:00p
2:00p-4:00p, only on days with a performance
924 N Pennsylvania St
Indianapolis, IN 46204