Tentime MAC Award Winner and Drama Desk nominated performer Karen Mason gave a Master Class at The Cabaret on August 25th, 2012. Karen originated the role of Tanya in Mamma Mia! and has appeared in many other New York shows including Sunset Boulevard and And The World Goes Round. Here are some of her useful tips for aspiring artists:
1. Make sure the song you choose is one you can actual relate to.
2. Look at the lyrics of a song and see what speaks to you. That is the best way to choose a song.
3. What made you sing this song now, instead of later? Why here, why now?
4. If you are singing a song where you are talking to someone specific make sure you sing to them. You can’t dissipate your energy.
5. Know what outcome you want from the song you are singing.
6. Be very specific about who you are talking to.
7. If you are nervous before a song, take a deep breath and start when you’re ready. Also, nerves aren’t a bad thing – use them!
8. Be specific! That way when you have an off day you can go back to those specific choices and use them.
9. Don’t try and sell your song – let us get to know you first. When you’re selling the song, you are working too hard.
10. Trust that you are interesting enough just being yourself.
11. A one joke set up is dangerous for a 3-minute song. Make sure you give yourself more places to go.
"One of Indianapolis' most fashionable downtown nightspots..."Tom Alvarez, Examiner.com