Posted by admin on August 6, 2013
Broadway sensation Eden Espinosa gave a Master Class at The Cabaret on August 3, 2013. Eden is most recognized for her critically acclaimed portrayal of Elphaba in Broadway’s Wicked. Other musical theater accomplishments include creating the title role in Brooklyn The Musical and playing Maureen in the closing cast of Rent on Broadway. Here are her tips for aspiring performers:
1. Your song has to be made personal or else it’s general.
2. The job of a performer is to share a piece of our soul with the audience, not just to sound pretty.
3. With EVERY song you sing you have to ask yourself “How can I make this personal?”
4. You need to have an active imagination. Create a realistic scenario that compares to the stakes of the song you’re singing.
5. It’s not natural to stand staring in the eyes of the person you’re talking to so don’t stare at a dot singing if it doesn’t feel natural!
6: Follow your instincts!
7. It’s more important to let the emotion in rather than stifling it even if it means you have to speak a few lyrics.
8. Get to where you want to be in the song before you start singing.
9. Storytelling and personalization are the keys to everything: sounding good, losing awkward ticks, etc…
"Awesome venue! I tell everyone I know about The Cabaret and encourage them to see a show."Cabaret Guest
Monday - Friday: 10:00a - 5:00p
2:00p-4:00p, only on days with a performance
924 N Pennsylvania St
Indianapolis, IN 46204